Monday, July 12, 2004

Another straight riposte

So, with regards to the Cursed Marriage Essay, someone whom I respect immensly write the following:
Finally, marriage is talked about alot in the bible...does that not mean anything??

Yes, marriage is talked about in the Bible. However, nowhere does God prescribe a standard ceremonial function which, upon completion, results in a couple being "married in the eyes of God". This leads me to believe that although marriage is important, it is not a sacrament. With Baptism, we do as the Lord did, to identify with His death, burial and resurrection. With communion, we do as the Lord taught in order that we remember what He did for us. Marriage is not even close to being in the same league as these two (in my opinion, and in my reading of the Bible).


Marriage is not overly important to me, and just because I'm a Christian doesn't mean I have to have the same priorites as everyone else. Sabbath keeping is not important to me, but it is important to many of my Christian friends. It is in the Bible too... in fact, it is described quite elaborately and is very heavily promoted, as I recall. Jesus even kept the Sabbath, although he did a lot of things that cheesed off the authorities. There are many within the spectrum of Christian thought that differ on their view of the Sabbath, Baptism, Communion, and a whole host of other things. We respect these differences and agree to disagree. Yet marriage is held up as something more sacred than sacred. I have a question: Why are wedding ceremonies an hour long, and baptism ceremonies only go ten minutes? Why spend thousands of dollars on cake, flowers, music, dresses, shoes, invitations, gifts, food, booze, etc etc etc, and fifty cents on grape juice and bread??? Does anyone else see the absolute stupidity in this? Please tell me I'm not the only one!.


I'm not saying that people shouldnt get married, and I'm not saying that weddings are horrible. In fact, as a capitalist, I think people should do whatever they want with their money. If they wanna spend it on weddings, go ahead. My question is WHY?



It seems to me that when I ask a woman to marry me, and she says "yes", that is it. ame over. End of Story. We are married in the sight of God. No Pastor, no best man, no thousand dollar dress... nothing. Just me, her and the big G.
Darnit Asylum... now look what you've made me do! Thanks for the comments.