Sunday, July 11, 2004

But while we are posting....

I should let you all know my opinions on the world cup, and hockey in general. There's been a lot of crapola festering in this morbid mind, and I need to get it out.

#1: The Bertuzzi Epic - why the flaming deeds of grandeur is Bertuzzi facing federal charges for punching someone in the head during a hockey game? Is it just me, or have there been thousands of cheap shots committed in the last decade alone that have gone completely unpunished (and, might I add, have caused equal or greater damage). Mark my words, this trial is going to give a whole new face to hockey. I mean, I think it's retarded that McSorley was charged as well, but at least his attack involved a weapon of some sort. And don't give me that BS about Bert's weapon being his fist... I've even heard one balloon-headed, nubianic freak suggest that Bert's glove was his weapon, because the glove added SOOOOooooo much more force to the blow. Anyway, this trial is going to make for some very nervous hockey out there. We're talking about the end of toughness - the end of what we as Canadians have worked so hard to create in a game that has ten times the action and excitement of any American sport. The product we'll end up with is something akin to the Finnish game (and if anybody's watched a Finnish elite league game, you know the kind of hellish dullness I'm talking about). And is anybody else getting tired of people ragging on Bertuzzi for what he did? I was listening to the radio the other day and they were having callers discuss the issue, and some people were actually suggesting that the only way they'll feel that justice is done is if Bertuzzi goes to prison for five years. Excuse me while I vomit up my innards. If there's anything in the world that makes me feel like crapping on my hands and rubbing it in my hair, that's it.

#2: The World Cup - this issue will have a slightly less bitter tone, although by no means less passionate. I don't know about any of you, but I'm feeling a little bit reluctant to give my whole-hearted confidence to Mario Lemieux as captain this time around. I realize he has a pretty stand-up record, but isn't it about time we give the "C" to someone who actually deserves it for going out there and playing? I mean, look at the rest of the team. The people who made it are guys that have had to prove themselves, even over this past season. And then there's Mario - the team fossil - who didn't even freakin play last season. And we're expecting him to jump in there and actually lead the team with more than just words? My prediction is that he'll get a few assists, and Gretzsky will go on about how great a leader he has been, and most people, being Mario lovers, will just go right along with it. But in the end, the people who are really going to lead the team are Joe Sakic, Jarome Iginla and Joe Thornton (what a coincidence - two Joes and a Ja-rome).

Ooops - Pei Yusei has to go - he's late for an important appointment with the crapper. AAKKKK!