Friday, July 09, 2004

TV Preacher explained

A few weeks ago I posted a little something about a Preacher I saw on TV. You can read the original post here. Since I've just finished ranting and raving in a most unchristian manner, I thought I'd better change the subject to something a little more... holy (?).
If it took the death of Christ to defeat him, it's going to take some dedication from you to complete that defeat and keep the devil from controlling your life. Jesus has stripped him of authority, but just like any common criminal, he'll do whatever you let him get away with...The devil doesn't really care if you're saved or not as long as you don't go spreading salvation around. He wants to defeat you in any way he can


I have a real problem with this line of thinking. First, if Jesus really defeated Satan at the cross, why is Satan still lurking about, doing evil things and screwing up evertbodies lives? What kind of victory did Jesus win if his foe has not been vanquished? Doesn't sound very "victorious" to me. The notion of Jesus "stripping him of his authority" doesn't fly with me either. If he has been stripped of his authority, it is STRIPPED. It cannot be unstripped! What kind of Saviour would strip and then unstrip Satan of his authority (hehehe... strip and unstrip... mheh!). As well, the very idea that Satan doesnt really care if you're saved or not? What the crap kind of garbage is that? If Satan is alive and well (as most non-Preterists believe), then I suspect that he most certainly does care whether we are saved or not.


Thank God I'm a preterist. When people ask me about Satan, I just tell 'em "he's in the lake of fire where he belongs".