Saturday, July 17, 2004

A bitter fisking!

So, the brother of our friendly neighborhood Asylum wrote the following:
However, while there is no biblically prescribed ceremonial marriage function, the biblical concept of marriage is quite important -- which is probably why, dating back to the pre-Mosaic times, marriage ceremonies have always been very important and quite elaborate. In fact, God instituted marriage from the time of man's original creation - truly a divine institution on the highest ground (Gen. 2:18-25). God goes on to attribute to marriage an extremely important role; that is to reflect the relationship of the Godhead, and to exhibit the spiritual relationship between God and his people.


The notion that God instituted marriage from Creation is quite interesting. Did he really? It seems to me that two naked folks living in a paradise is quite different than that of "Christian marriage" today. God gave Adam his wife because He saw that Adam needed a helper, and when none of the other animals were found to be suitable, God did his little surgery thing, and bang-o, woman! Verses 24 and 25 of Gen two are written almost as an afterthought, or an addendum to the main story. God never says "all men must be married in this fashion", or "until you do this, you are not married in my sight". In Genesis, it is the relationship that is most important, not any concept of a wedding or a "marriage". If you choose to use the term marriage, you must admit that Adam and Eve were "married" from the moment she was created. No vows, no ceremony, no rings, no nothing! Hmmmm.... perhaps we are getting somewhere now! God did not "institute" anything on that day. He merely created a suitable helper for Adam, because the other animals were inadequate.


The relationship of the Godhead is not seen in marriage anymore than it is in any other relationship. God's original intention in Genesis is that all relationships (God to man, man to creation, man to woman, etc) are whole. When I think of married couples, I don't think "Gosh, that is what the Godhead must be like!". And although the argument can be made that the Holy Spirit represents the feminine, the Father represents the masculine, and the Son represents... uhhh... the Son, I can think of plenty of non-marriage examples that better represent the kind of relationships that God originally intended. David and Jonathan, Paul and Silas (or Timothy), Ruth and Naomi all come to mind. In fact, I see God using marriage to to represent wickedness and unfaithfulness! Don't believe me? Look at poor Hosea!

As far as I can tell nothing is more important in this world than giving non-believers a picture of our God. And this is partly the importance of marriage as an institution and even of the marriage ceremony itself.


What you consider a "correct picture of God" is quite different than what I would consider. Not to mention, the marriage ceremony itself is in most cases a farce. nothing spiritually significant happens when the man and wife say "I do". Actually, should rephrase that a little. Perhaps something significant does happen, since I believe God in interested in what we find interesting; however, it is important to admit that it is important to US, not commanded by God. God is also interested when I play hockey, but any spirituality I feel towards the game is entirely my own. That does not invalidate my feelings, but I recognize their proper place.

And it seems that the importance God placed and places on marriage plays out in our world today. Marriage may indeed be the most basic and significant social relationship to humankind. And it is evident that without the nurturing and maintaining of the marital structure, society fails (we're seeing it happen right now in many western countries).


This is certainly comething I can mostly agree with. When it comes to raising kids, there is no better system than that of one man and one women who care for the child together. But the thing is, I know tons of kids from "normal" homes that are screwed right up, and I know kids who were raised in absolutely terrible conditions who overcome them and are succuessful. I cannot quite agree that our society is failing. Can you name one society or culture in history that has upheld this normative view of Christian marriage, and has been "succuessful". I can name a lot that have not respected the Christian concept at all, yet have had success. Or perhaps you are looking to the past hundred years or so of North American history. Certainly America has a "Christian" past, but I can think of no one who would want to to live back then. Truly, that would be a step back, not a step forward.
In point of fact, I rather think our society (that is, Western, liberal, democratic) is not failing at all. I think the US is creating a "more perfect union", just as they said they would in their constitution. It is not perfect, but it is the very best one out there, because it provides opportunity and freedom for all. Canada is similar. We are in no jeopardy of failing as a society. Our threat comes from without, n ot from within. That is why I hold such strong views on the war on Terror. I do not want to live in a world where women are forced to cover their faces. I would rather live in a world that allows people to do as they please. I can honestly say that I would rather live in a country that allows homosexuals to preform a ceremony expressing their love for one another, than a country that will decapitate you for being an "infidel". I hear a lot on the news about people fleeing their homeland and coming to Canada and the US. I don't hear very many stories of people fleeing to Cuba, or Iran, of North Korea.


Good grief, what was I talking about again? Oh yeah, right... marriage!
I just cannot consider marriage "sacred". Perhaps for some people it is, and for me, I think the story of Paul Henderson scoring three game winning goals in the Autumn of '72 was an act of the Divine. It's just a matter of perspective.