Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Syd Barrett

Rest in Peace, Syd Barrett.

LIFE STYLE EXTRA (UK) - Syd Barrett, the co-founding member of Pink Floyd, has died.

Barrett died at home in Cambridgeshire, aged 60, on Friday (7.7.06).

A spokesperson for Pink Floyd has cofirmed he passed away from health complications caused by his diabetes. Barrett also suffered from painful stomach ulcers.

The spokesperson has revealed there will be a small, private funeral for family and close friends.

Pink Floyd released a joint statement last night (11.07.06) expressing their grief.

It read: "Syd was the guiding light of the early band line-up and leaves a legacy which continues to inspire."

Barrett founded the legendary rock band with Roger Waters, Nick Mason and Rick Wright in 1965.

The pioneering musician - who was born Roger Keith Barrett, but was given the nickname Syd as a teenager - was the band's guitarist and wrote many of their early songs, including the hit singles 'Arnold Layne' and 'See Emily Play'.

Their debut album 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn' was released in 1967.

However, dduring (sic) his time in the band Barrett's extensive LSD use brought on mental health problems, and he left the group in 1968.


How unfortunate.
He left quite the legacy.

My father introduced me to the music of Pink Floyd as a child in the 1980's. The first time I heard Shine on You crazy Diamond and Wish You Were Here, dad explained to me meaning of the lyrics, and the significance of the song title (bolding is intentional, in case you didn't already know). As my appetite for all things Floyd-y
grew, I discovered their first album Piper at the Gates of Dawn. When I put it in my cd player, and the first satellite/spacey sounds of Astronomy Domine began, I was hooked. After the final song, Bike, I was in awe.
This was recorded in 1967???
Why aren't bands today this creative???

Syd Barrett played a huge role in both songs. In fact, he was largely responsible for the entire album. He is rightly considered by many to be one of the most creative musicians of all time.

I join with so many Floyd fans in saying:

Shine on You crazy Diamond