Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Awww geez...

Well, despite the fact we got two medals today, I'd still consider the day an overwhelming failure for Canada. Why? Because I'm a bitter pessamist. But really...did anybody watch the Canada/Cuba baseball semifinal? That was almost enough to give me an ulcer. We're up 3-2, bottom of the eighth, and what do ya know?...our pitching goes to baseball purgatory, and we give up six freakin' runs. My goodness gracious! It's not entirely fair to blame the pitching though...that inning also saw some horendous play by our third baseman, Peter Orr. He blew a chance for a double play by overthrowing a routine second-base out. DAMMIT! I guess it didn't help much with the shunty umpiring either. It was okay for most of the game, but the first base umpire totally screwed us over in the seventh inning by calling our runner out on a play in which he was clearly safe. Apparently pro-Cuban umpiring has been something of a pattern in international baseball. Go figure. But anyway...such a close ending. We were one meter away from a grand slam home run at the end, which would have put us ahead. But then again...I shouldn't have got my hopes up - after all, it was team Canada. Yes, they always find a way to lose.

My heart goes out to poor Perdita Felicien. What a way to lose a race, eh? And thanks again to great Olympic reffing, there was no hope for a re-run...despite the fact that Felicien foiled the efforts of that masculine Russian hurdler. Oh well...these things just go to re-establish my contempt for the summer olympics. Well, maybe I don't hate them - but sometimes, I swear I could do some serious damage to the respiratory organs of all those associated with "The Man" in Olympiad.