Friday, June 18, 2004

A sad day indeed.

This past week in Houston (a town southeast of Smithers), a man killed his wife and then turned the gun on himself. I don't recall anything like this happening in the Bulkley Valley in a long time. It is really quite sad, and will probably cause quite an uproar in Houston (population 4500). The man's last name was Sullivan, a very prominent man in the community. His family owns a car dealership in town, I believe it is one of the largest GM dealers in Western Canada. They sell trucks en masse to miners, loggers, sawmill foremen, etc. As I said, this will cause a lot of grief in the Valley. Many questions will be asked, like "How could he do such a thing?" and "what caused him to snap?".


Since I heard, I've thought about a few things myself. Was God there when he pulled the trigger? Will God be there for the family as they struggle through? How will the family react?


At this point, I am reminded that no matter how bleak my life seems to be, or how it seems as though none of my dreams will ever come to fruition, there is hope. There is light at the end of the tunnel, and my life is NOT in vain.


Thanks God, and thanks to all of you out there (family, friends from CBC & Smithers), I am honored to know you, and am humbled that you consider me a friend. I am a better person because I know each of you.