Monday, June 28, 2004

Now for something a little more tragic

On Friday night, a co-worker of mine committed suicide. He took a .303 shotgun, pointed it at his chin, and blew his head clear off of his body. The Janitorial supervisor for Apex was worried on Sunday morning when the guy didn't show up for his shift on Saturday night. On Sunday morning, the supervisor, as well as the man's grandmother, found him dead on the floor at his home. The man, Robert Joseph, had worked for Apex for five or six years. I worked with him a couple of times, the most recent time was when we cleaned the Scotiabank Mall together (about a month ago). He seemed fine at the time, but many people I have talked to said that he was mired in depression. He didn't drink a lot, didn't do drugs (as far as I know), and had a good, steady job. He was also a hard worker. It is really sad that he decided to end it.


Last night I cleaned the Super Valu in Smithers, since it hadn't been done on Saturday. It was a rather surreal experience, in that I remember cleaning the place over Christmas holidays with Robert.
I wonder what Robert is thinking right now... if he is even thinking at all.