Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Troop Deployment Vote passes

Barely...

A motion to extend the deployment barely passed 149 to 145 Wednesday night.


I wish it had been passed by a more significant margin, but a pass is a pass is a pass nonetheless.

Other leadership candidates, Michael Ignatieff and Scott Brison, voted for the longer commitment in perilous Afghanistan, as did interim Liberal leader Bill Graham.


Good on 'em for voting the way they did. I've said a lot of bad things about Brison in the past, but I'll give him credit this time. I suspect his decision wasn't simply based on principle, but maybe I'm wrong on that.


Former prime minister Paul Martin was absent.


Shock! Gasp! Colour me surprised. What a shitbag. Hope he had a good excuse.

“I think the truth of the matter is support for the mission is a lot stronger than the vote,” Harper said. “There were a lot of people in there who just wanted to vote against the government. But certain Liberals took a principled position and Canada is much better for it.”


Thanks you to all the Libranos that did take a principled position.

The mission continues. God bless our troops.

Stanley Cup Ring to Angry.

King's Perspective has a good piece on the vote as well.