Sunday, February 20, 2005

Funeral Arrangements

When I die, I would like to donate my body to science. Heck, if someone needs a kidney or liver or heart, let 'em have it. I certainly won't be needing them where I'll be going. At the very least, I think it would be cool to offer university medical students a chance to probe and prode and explore. I'm not exactly the healthiest specimen, but I bet more than one student could learn a thing of two from my cold, dead carcas.

However, after reading this nonsense that Andrew at Bound by Gravity has had to go through regarding his grandmother's final request, my act of good will may not be received:

In order to have your body donated to science you have to pay the schools to take it, and then pay again to prevent them from scattering your ashes in a "common area".
********************
Relatively few people donate their bodies to science upon death, and whether or not your donation will be accepted is based on what is needed at the time of your death in the area you live. In my grandmother's case, Queens University is currently only accepting "healthy" corpses - so her cancer-devoured donation will not be accepted.(emphasis in original, ed.)


*shakes head* I better watch it, my blood is beginning to boil.