Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Canada-Russia Gold Medal Game

Initial thoughts after the first period:

Canada 2, Russia 1
I was really impressed with the way Canada came out of the gates (but who wasn't?). They took way too many penalties, and Russia finally burned them for it. Jeff Glass looks good, and I'm not quite willing to fault him on that first goal. Judging by his reaction, he didn't see it until it was six inches past him. Lots of body checks, a few good scoring chances, and all lines seem to be clicking. I like what I see so far.

Regarding Russia: Can anyone tell me what the heck Ovechkin is doing out there? Look buddy, you ain't Cam Neely. If I was the Russian coach, I'd remind him of what his job is out there: SCORE SOME GOALS! Their goalie has done a pretty good job too. The first goal was an absolute rocket (the net is probably still stinging from it), while the second one, scored by Gretz... errr Syvret, was pure genius.

I'm extremely interested in seeing if Canada comes out as hard in the second as they did in the first.