Thursday, October 28, 2004

Good ol' Hannibal!

Hannibal Lecter returns!

Unfortunately only in book form. The days of Anthony Hopkins as "Hannibal the Cannibal" may be over forever. Actually, I have mixed opinions on these films. When Silence of the Lambs first came out (actually, about five years later, when I was allowed to watch it) I loved the movie. But over the years I've begun to question the ethics of portraying a murderous psychopath as a romantic kind of character who we're basically supposed to cheer for by the end (especially in Hannibal, which made Lecter's victim and pursuer, Mason Verger, into the real bad guy). The films make for great entertainment, but I don't necessarily appreciate the way they create an attitude of sympathy for someone as twisted as Hannibal.

But what the hell . . . a good movie's a good movie's a good movie, as they say.