Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Layin' down some words of wisdom

Something's really been bothering me since the Democratic National Convention. At first I couldn't quite put my finger on it (and granted, a lot can be said about the DNC!), but after about a week of thought, I think I've finally figured it out. This may take a little while to explain, and I apologize if it doesn't seem to make any sense, but I think I'm onto something here.


I discovered the reason after a conversation I had with my father. We were talking about my upcoming trip to Winnipeg, specifically my flight from Prince George to Winnipeg. We talked about the possibility of a terrorist taking over the flight! If it wasn't such a serious matter, it would really be quite laughable, because the very thought of a hijacker picking my flight to Winnipeg is REALLY REALLY remote. But it raises an interesting question. Why would I do if the flight was hijacked?


Naturally, it is difficult to say for certain what a person would do if put in that situation. But the conclusion my father and I came to was that we would fight. WE would pick the seemingly best time to attack, and we would do so. Example One: If there was one hijacker with a knife: I would wait until he was distracted or had his back turned, and I would either poke his eyes out with my stubby little fingers, or I'd stab him in the throat with a blunt object (ie pen, broken plastic drink glass, etc). Example Two: The hijacker has a gun. Same thing as above. In the event that I was shot in the chest or lower body, I would fight with all my strength to gauge out his eyes, or at least throttle him and cause him severe discomfort before I died. The bottom line is: I would NOT go gently into that good night!
Example Three: two or more hijackers. This would take a bit more strategy. Ultimately, I would take at least one of them out. Chances are I would die in the melee, but I'd take at least one of them with me.


Now, I'm not an aggressive type of person. In fact, at 5'6'' and 145 pounds, I'm not gonna be strong-arming anyone anytime soon! But in a situation like a hijacking, it does not matter how big you are physically. Anyone can take down a person if they do it right. I've also never been shot before, but from what I've heard, it takes a shot to the head or the heart to disable a person, and even then, the human body can still stir up enough strength to fight back. Heck, if I was a hijacker and shot someone, only to see them get up and charge at me, I'd crap my l'il terroristy pants! The bottom line is, I would NOT simply resign myself to my fate. I would at the very least risk my life to save others. Even if I died, perhaps my death would result in someone else having enough time to take out the hijacker permanently.


Where does this desire come from? Is there a word that describes this kind of thing? I see this kind of thing in so many people, and in so many different ways. For example, during my college days, I was increasingly worried about getting a job once my studies were over. At Christmas time last year, I helped a friend of mine at his job. He put in a good word with his boss, and the boss saw me working one day, and the next thing I knew, I had a permanent, full-time job waiting for me when I finished the spring semester. Now I know for a fact that my friend put in a good word for me. And I also know that getting a job offered to you is not standard procedure- I know plenty of people who search tirelessly for work, only to be rejected at every turn. What caused my friend to stick his neck out for me?


In another way, I think of the firemen who rushed into the WTC when it was on fire. Who the hell does that kind of thing, really? The WTC buildings were burning, and most certainly doomed. I've seen the pictures, I know what it looked like. And yet, despite the obvious danger, over 300 firemen rushed into the WTC in an attempt to save others. What causes people to do that sort of thing? Who in their right mind would do that?


Then I think of Jason Anderson. Jason was 13 years old in 1998 when he died of cancer. In the midst of certain death, with cancer ravaging his little body and causing more pain than anyone should have to endure, he told his classmates at BVCS to "Never Give Up". To this day, those words are inscribed underneath his memorial at the school. In a month I'll be 26 years old. Twice Jason's age, yet at times I feel like half the man he was. What causes someone to say those words?


I can't think of a word to describe this sort of thing. All I can say is that it (whatever it is) is what makes Canadians, Canadians. It is also what makes Americans, American. It is a truly selfless attitude. It is one of responsibility and respect, integrity and decency.


I think a part of what makes these people unique is their perspective. I can't speak for each and every person, but it seems to me their decisions are basedon what they know to be right. They don't do things in order to simply please others. We do things because those things are the right things to do, not because we care about how we look in the eyes of others. That is why my friend stuck his neck out for me. That is why the firemen ran into a doomed building. That is why a 13 year old kid never gave up. That is why I'd fight the damn hijacker even if the situation was hopeless and I'd certainly die. Because it's the right thing to do.


To try and bring this thought around to its conclusion, I think what really cheesed me off about the Kerry/Edwards DNC show-a-rama, was their slogan "Stronger at home, Respected in the World". Respected in the World??? When I think of what they must mean by the "World"... I think of Jacques, Kofi, and Kim. Are these really the people we want to look "respectable" to??? A Wine-drinking scuzzball, a dictator-coddling assclown, and a Certifiable Nut-job Lunatic?!?!?! If I was an American, I'd NEVER vote for a guy who says we need to be more respected by the World!


The only ones who you shuld worry about respecting you are your family. Although its nice to have respect from your boss... you can always change jobs. Although it's nice to have respect from your friends... friends come and friends go. But as long as my folks respect me, I know no matter what that I've got a square meal and a bed to sleep on if I'm ever in dire straits. Family matters. You look out for those who look out for you. When America makes decisions, they shouldn't be concerned with what Kofi thinks. They should be concerned about the freedom and rights of their brothers and sisters. The same applies to Canada. It is a said state of affairs when the country that gave this world Paul Henderson, Terry Fox, John Foote, and Billy Bishop (to name a few), spends it's time worrying about whether we are 1st, 2nd, or 3rd on the UN's list of desirable places to live! Who gives a flying red fiddle!?!?!?!


So, to sum it all up, if anyone is thinking about hijacking my flight, they'll be in for a fight. Also, don't vote for John Kerry if you live in the US, he's a bad bad man!!!!! I guess that's all for now.