Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Daily Recap

I had a fairly good day at work today. I met a pretty cool guy whose apartment room needed to be de-odorized. He just moved here from Vancouver this year. Right now he is unemployed, but his wife is a lawyer. He told me a little bit about what they have experience in the past five months, since arriving in Smithers. I really enjoyed his final outlook on life. Although he has trouble getting used to the slow pace of life here (ie everything closing at 6pm), and is getting sick of eating out in Smithers (Boston Pizza: the novelty soon wears off), he has been able to try a number of things he would never get the chance to do otherwise. For example, he recalled the time he went snow-shoeing. Also, he went ice-fishing for the first time ever, and went canoeing in a lake not long ago. It is difficult to do these things in Vancouver!


Conversely, I have lived in small northern towns all my life. All of those things that he mentioned are cool, but I have been there, done that. I find it fascinating to cruise Robson Street (yeah I know, it's touristy... I really mean Granville & Georgia). I love seeing hundreds of people driving around at 2:00 on a Thursday morning! There are more people on a Thursday morning on Robson Street than there are in all of Smithers*! I really enjoy the variety of food one can find in the lower mainland, not to mention the endless entertainment options**!


Hoepfully I get to see this guy again. I think that given time, we could get along really well and maybe even be friends. Isn't it fascinating the way people weave in and out of your life? Each one has a story. Go meet someone new this weekend.


*Okay, so this may not be factually correct, since there are six to seven thousand people in Smithers, but you get the point.
**And No, I don't mean THAT kind of entertainment. Geez Chappy, get your mind out of the gutter.