Sunday, July 24, 2005

The Don tells it like it is.

Donald Trump on the proposed refurbishing of the UN building in New York. He comments on the insane pricetag, the incompetence of the project manager, and the world's richest architect. But my favourite quote of all has to be:

In New York City, we have a lot of asbestos buildings. And there's a whole debate about asbestos. I mean, a lot of people could say that if the World Trade Center had asbestos, it wouldn't have burned down. It wouldn't have melted, okay? A lot of people think asbestos...a lot of people in my industry think asbestos is the greatest fire-proofing material ever made. And I can tell you that I've seen tests of asbestos, verus the new material that's being used, and it's not even a contest. It's like a heavyweight champion against a lightweight from high school. But in your great wisdom, you folks have said asbestos is a horrible material, so it has to be removed.


What can I say though? I'm biased. I grew up in a northern community that mined asbestos.
And asbestos is bad.
So they closed down the mine.
And the town.
Because asbestos is bad.

Thanks, Don. You kick ass.

Stanley Cup ring to Ghost of a Flea.