Thursday, October 07, 2004

Safe Deposit Boxes: Not so safe.

Someone's in trouble:

HONG KONG - A Singapore-based bank has offered to repay customers for lost cash, documents and expensive jewelry after a contractor accidentally removed dozens of full safe-deposit boxes and crushed them as scrap metal.


That would suck! Could you imagine being the guy that has to make that phone call? Or the person receiving it! Dang.

Customers were angry that some of their most precious possessions had been lost, and local media say DBS will be on the hook for millions of dollars in losses.


I bet they were angry, and justifiably so. How do you repay a priceless heirloom? Or a family treasure?

Acting on orders, construction workers removed a total of 920 boxes, 837 of them empty. The bank was replacing the safe-deposit boxes with larger ones during a branch expansion.


Uhhhh uh huh huh huh "branch expansion" uh huh huh huh.

In other, more personal, news, I was supposed to clean the carpets at a consignment store in Houston. Unfortunately the vacuum unit in my van acted up, and I had to cancel the job. The owner of the store was PISSED. She's the kind of person that no matter what do, it is never good enough. When I did her estimate last week, she was all huffy and puffy because the cost was too expensive, and blabidy blah she wants a discount etc. She ranted in and raved at me for several minutes. I looked her straight in the eye after she was done, said "I'm sorry, but I'll see you tomorrow with a different van"

She told me that if she could get someone to do it sooner, she would. I thought, "good luck". I get the distinct impression that I'm going to drive all the way to Houston tomorrow just to hear her say, "I don't want you to do them anymore".

I'll update you on this story tomorrow.