Thursday, July 29, 2004

Cursed Varicella Zoster

Well, as many of you know by now, I've been rather ill this past week. There's been plenty of great stuff to blog out there, especially the Democratic National Convention, but I've been bed-ridden since Sunday night, and was only now able to break free into the wilderness that is downtown Smithers.


Over the past little while, the infectious disease known as Varicella Zoster has been wreaking irritation upon many people I know. My pastor's two youngest kids had it, my nephew got it, and three weeks ago, my dad contracted it and had to miss a week of work! According to my mom, I contracted it as a baby, and since a recurrence of the disease is as unlikely as the Leafs winning the cup next year, I figured I was safe. So arrogant and cocky was I that, when my Pastor offered the housesitting job to me while he goes on vacation this month, I wholeheartedly agreed! Sure, why not swim in a house full of good ol' varicella? I'll be fine!



Well, Friday night my head began to hurt, and my back began to ache. Saturday at work I could hardly function, and told my co-worker I was quitting early*, Sunday night saw me as catatonic as a corpse... and the fun was just beginning! I did not sleep Sunday night. When Monday morning finally rolled around, a trip to doctor revealed that, yessir, I was infected big time! Not only did my head feel as though someone was scraping at my scalp from the inside, but I was convinced that someone was peeling the skin off of my back with a pitchfork. Looks like I'm get a week off work. That night, my throat was so constricted I couldn't eat (even if I had an appetite!), but on Tuesday morning everything I had drank came RIGHT BACK UP in one hideously disgusting vomit session.... this after about five minutes of dry heaving! I thought my very guts were gonna be next. And then there was the itching...
But that afternoon saw the tide turn. Tuesday night I was alert and alive, and glory-be I actually got some sleep. The worst is certainly over, and now, on Thursday afternoon, I can say that the baddest thing now is the itching. Most of the lumps have cracked, and have turned into annoying scabby bits, which I'm told don't last. I look hideous, and I'm probably still contagious, but at least I'm not considering euthanasia anymore! since this weekend is a long on in BC, I've got until Tuesday off work. I'm hoping to be close to 100% by then.



This explains the lack of posting lately. As I say, I really wanted to, since the Dems are doing their best to look like complete buffoons at their national convention. The only speech that I thought was done well, was spoken by Jennifer Granholm, the governer of Michigan (full transcripthere). Her brother, Bob Granholm, taught me during my first year of college, so yes, I'm biased. He had to cancel class one week because he wanted to be with his sister as she won her election in 2002. For a democrat, she's alright. A little piece of Canada in the American government!
But seriously, most of the speeches I watched on C-span were delivered terribly. I know it isn't always easy to deliver a speech from a teleprompter but come on! These are supposed to be professionals! Many looked like amateurs just trying to struggle through their ten or fifteen minutes. And don't even get me started on Teresa Heinz-Kerry's speech. Was that not the lamest, most boring thing you've ever heard?!?!?! Who the heck put that thing together for her? Please tell me she didn't write it herself! She spoke with about as much vigor as a can of molassis. I know she's rich and snooty and doesn't give a crap about anyone, but she could at least PRETEND to be interested in what she's saying! The red dress was a nice touch though... a not-so-subtle reminder that she's the billionaire heir to the throne of the ketchup company. hehe.

So that's probably it for the day. For those of you who didn't link the link through the title of this post, here is the truth about Varicella Zoster.
* I worked for ten hours that day, so it wasnt like I went home really early, I just didnt want to keep going.